To take part in an change program in america, you will need to apply for a J1 visa earlier than leaving your nation. The visa is straightforward to get in comparison with different sorts of nonimmigrant visas however has a number of restrictions. On this article, you’ll uncover solutions to the query, “What’s a J1 Visa?” and discover different related info.
A J1 Visa, also called an Alternate Visitor Visa, is a nonimmigrant visa that lets you take part in change packages within the USA. These packages embrace:
- New Zealander Summer time Work Journey Pilot Program
- The Australian Summer time Work Journey Pilot Program
- Irish Intern Work Journey Pilot Program
- South Koreans WEST Program – (Work, English Research, and Journey)
Even for those who qualify to journey visa-free to the United States, you will need to acquire a J1 Visa in case your objective of go to is to take part in any of those Alternate Customer Packages.
Who’s Eligible For a J-1 Cisa?
To qualify for a J1 Visa, you will need to have been accepted into an Alternate Customer Program by way of a chosen sponsor within the US. This system requires you to submit an internet utility.
Right here’s a listing of the paperwork wanted in your J1 visa application:
- Type DS-160 affirmation web page, which is generated after finishing the nonimmigrant visa application
- A passport legitimate in your journey and a minimum of six months after your meant keep within the USA
- An digital or printed picture that meets US visa photograph requirements
- A SEVIS-generated Type DS-2019 out of your program sponsor
- Coaching/Internship Placement Plan, Type DS-7002 (Required for those who’re making use of as an intern or trainee)
- Receipt for J1 visa application fee
How Lengthy Can You Keep on a J-1 Visa?
The length of US J1 visas varies relying on the class of its holder. Whereas their most length is 5 years, J1 visas issued to trainees are legitimate for 18 months. In the event you’re an intern or change customer within the hospitality discipline, the visa will allow you to keep in america for 12 months solely.
What Does a J-1 Visa Do?
A J-1 visa goals to advertise cultural change between america and different international locations, by granting entry to change guests. An change customer generally is a scholar, intern, trainee, instructor, camp counselor, authorities customer, doctor, professor & analysis scholar, specialist, or short-term scholar.
Can a J1 Visa Holder Deliver Household?
Sure, you possibly can carry your dependents to america for those who maintain a sound J-1 visa. Nonetheless, you will need to present proof of funds, whose quantity varies relying on who you’re bringing.
Whereas an account assertion with a minimum of $5,000 is sufficient to sponsor your partner, you want a minimal of $3,500 for every little one.
How A lot is the J-1 Visa Charge?
An Alternate Visitor Visa (J1) prices $185 as its utility price. The cash is non-refundable and payable earlier than attending your visa interview. Guarantee its full cost a minimum of three enterprise days forward of your appointment.
In case your utility is granted, you will have to pay an issuance price, relying in your nationality.
Can I Keep In The US After My J-1 Visa Expires?
Sure, you could have a 30-day grace interval to remain in america after your Alternate Customer Program ends on a J-1 visa. Be sure you depart earlier than the interval ends.